I am pleased to inform you that I have set up a new Diocesan Pastoral Council. I have appointed 12 members of the faithful in our Church to sit on this new Council. Thanks to the diversity of their cultural backgrounds and age groups and the variety of their respective activities, these 12 members will provide a true reflection of the reality of our Diocese.
The Diocesan Pastoral Council is convoked by me and forms the council of the People of God in Montreal. It constitutes one example of the co-responsibility of the baptized in pursuing the Church’s mission.
As described in Canon law, the Diocesan Pastoral Council “investigates, considers, and proposes practical conclusions about those things which pertain to pastoral works in the diocese.” They will thus advise me with respect to the vision, broad guidelines and pastoral actions to be adopted in the life of our local Church.
In the synodal spirit, all members have an equal say. They are committed to participate in the exercise of discernment, the evaluation of diocesan priorities and the expression of their opinions, as well as to contribute to the processes of deliberation and formulation regarding proposals submitted to me.
The Council will meet several times each year. Our first meeting was held May 16.
The 12 Members of the Diocesan Pastoral Council are:
- Marie-Claude Bégin, Pastoral agent/Coordinator, Unité Pastorale des Eaux-Vives
- Jean-François Bigras
- Susan Mader Brown, Member of Notre-Dame-de-la-Consolata Parish
- Noé Fernando Castro avsec, Spiritual Care and Guidance and Community Involvement Animator, DorvalJeanXXIII Secondary School
- Jensy Gunaseelam, Member of the Notre-Dame-de-la-Délivrance Mission (Tamil)
- Diane Labrèche, Member of Saint Monica’s Parish
- Violaine Paradis, Social Action, Centre-Sud/Hochelaga-Maisonneuve
- Sophia Romero, Secretary of Notre-Dame-de-Pompei Parish
- Jean-Marc St-Jacques, c.s.v., Résidence Sacré-Cœur, Les Clercs de Saint-Viateur
- Fruan Tabamo, Coordinator - Henri-Bradet Shelter, Soutien à l'autonomie des personnes âgées (SAPA) (Support for seniors’ independent living)
- Charles Taker, Leader of RCIA and Liturgical Ministries at St. Patrick’s Basilica
- Brian Traynor, Program Developer at Divine Renovation Ministry
In thanking them warmly for their availability, I count on their prayers and on the sharing of their reflections to enrich the realization of the Mission of the Catholic Church in Montreal.
† Christian Lépine
Archbishop of Montreal