The Archdiocese of Montreal this week announced the full schedule for Holy Week services to be celebrated by Archbishop Christian Lépine, and which will be broadcast live from Montreal’s Mary Queen of the World Cathedral on Salt + Light Television. Everyone is welcome to tune in or follow online.
- Sunday, April 5, 2020: 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (Palm Sunday): This liturgy marks the beginning of Holy Week, commemorating Christ’s entry into Jerusalem.
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020: 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Chrism Mass): During this Mass, the Archbishop blesses the Holy Oils for use in the coming year. Traditionally, clergy gather around their Bishop for this special consecration.
- Thursday, April 9, 2020: 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (Mass in coena Domini): This commemoration of the Lord's Supper will forego the customary foot-washing ceremony, to be replaced this year with Eucharistic Adoration, followed by the blessing of the city of Montreal from the forecourt of the cathedral.
- Friday, April 10, 2020: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Good Friday): This liturgy commemorates the Lord’s passion and death.
- Saturday, April 11, 2020: 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (Easter Vigil): This vigil, during which the Church watches in anticipation of the Resurrection, celebrates the passage from darkness to light, Christ's victory over death.
- Sunday, April 12, 2020: 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (Easter Sunday Mass): This celebration of the Lord’s Resurrection from death, concludes Holy Week and marks the start of the Easter season.
Everyone is invited to follow these services via Salt + Light Television,
on their website: https://seletlumieretv.org,
on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/seletlumieretv
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/seletlumieretv
All celebrations will take place “in camera” only, with priests from the community residence of the Archdiocese of Montreal, and for the intentions of the Church and the salvation of the world during this painful time marked by COVID-19.
A new telephone support service has been set up by the Catholic Church in Montreal for those who need a listening ear or spiritual support amid the onset of self-isolation, restrictions and pandemic concerns. Those seeking spiritual support may call 1-888-305-0994 seven days a week, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.