The Premier of Quebec announced today several preventive measures to contain the spread of COVID-19. Meeting in plenary assembly, the Catholic bishops of Quebec want to contribute to this common public-health effort and to act in solidarity with the civil authorities.
Translated from its original version in French
Given the difficulty, in many places, of limiting public gatherings to 250 people, and also the fact that a major proportion of our parishioners are over age 65 and are, therefore, more at risk of contracting the virus, we have decided that all Catholic dioceses and Catholic churches of the Oriental Rite will implement the following provisions as a preventive measure.
Until further notice:
- All Saturday evening/Sunday masses and Liturgy of the Word celebrations on Sundays are canceled.
- Churches will remain open for smaller gatherings and personal visits.
- We invite the faithful to remain united with their brothers and sisters within the Universal Church...
- By viewing a televised mass;
- By celebrating Sunday-at-home, setting aside time to read the Word of God using their Bible or appropriate Internet resources.
Representatives of the Bishops’ Assembly remain in contact with civil authorities and are closely monitoring the situation. Other directives will be communicated in due course.
We pray for all those affected by this virus, for those who are feeling distressed as a result of it, and for healthcare workers who devote themselves generously to serving those in need.
We thank the local Church leadership for their indispensable collaboration during this exceptional situation.