The Holy See has announced the names of Canadians participating in the 2018 Synod of Bishops on Young People, the Faith and Vocational Discernment, being held October 3-28 in Rome. Bishop Thomas Dowd, Auxiliary-Bishop of Montreal, will be one of them.
Members of the Synod:
- The Most Rev. Brian J. Bayda, Ukrainian Eparchial Bishop of Saskatoon – as the elected member of the Synod of the Greek Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- The Most Revv. Luc Cyr, Archbishop of Sherbrooke; Thomas Dowd, Auxiliary Bishop of Montreal; Lionel Gendron, P.S.S., Bishop of Saint-Jean-Longueuil; and Stephen Arthur Jensen, Bishop of Prince George – as the elected members of the Episcopal Conference of Canada.
- His Eminence Marc Cardinal Ouellet, Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops – as head of a Roman dicastery.
- His Eminence Gérald Cyprien Cardinal Lacroix, Archbishop of Québec and Primate of Canada – named by the Holy Father.
In addition, Pope Francis has named Cardinal Ouellet as a member of the Ordinary Council of the Synod.
- Ms. Emilie Callan, nominated by the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops (Producer and Community Outreach Program of Salt + Light Catholic Television Network and one of the CCCB delegates to the March 2018 pre-Synod Meeting of Youth);
- Mr. Julian Paparella, nominated by the CCCB Permanent Council (a theology student at the Institut catholique of Paris, a TV host and writer with Salt + Light Catholic Television Network and a campus minister with the Newman Catholic Centre of McGill University, Montreal).
Collaborators with the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops:
- Mr. Prevain Devendran, operations manager, Salt + Light Catholic Television Network;
- Ms. Allyson Kenny, associate producer, Salt + Light Catholic Television Network.
Furthermore, the CCCB has been informed that the Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops has appointed Father Thomas Rosica, C.S.B., as English Language Media Attaché. Father Rosica is CEO of Salt + Light Catholic Media Foundation.