Young People, The Faith and vocational discernment
The preparatory document accompanied by a questionnaire by which the consultation of the whole Church is launched is now available. The Pope offers us a structured reflection in three stages. It begins by defining briefly some of the social and cultural dynamics of the world in which young people grow and make their decisions, in order to propose a reading of faith. Then he goes through the fundamental passages of the process of discernment, which is the main instrument that the Church can offer young people to discover their vocation in the light of faith. Finally, he addresses the fundamental points of a pastoral work on the vocations of young people.
A consultation of all young people is also planned through a website (Rome), including a questionnaire on their expectations and their lives. The answers to these two questionnaires will serve as a basis for the drafting of the working document called Instrumentum laboris, which will be the reference point for the debates of the Synod Fathers.
You can read it, think about it and react to it alone or in groups. We would like to receive your answers and reactions, as well as those of the collaborators who work with young people (13-35 years). Everyone will be able to answer questions that affect their sphere of competence and interests.
The deadline for receiving your answers is near, the summary document of each diocese to be prepared by the end of October 2017. Therefore, given the summer holidays, we would like to receive the answers before the beginning of July 2017. Your answers and your reactions are essential to understanding the issues and challenges to loving and serving young people within God’s Plan, take a few minutes!
You would like to know more?
What is a Synod of Bishops?
Why a synod on young people?
- Announcing the joy of the Gospel is the mission which the Lord has entrusted to his Church. The Synod on the New Evangelization and the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii gaudium addressed how to accomplish this mission in today’s world. On the other hand, the two Synods on the Family and the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Amoris laetitia were devoted to accompanying families to meet this joy.
- Through a new synodal journey on the theme of “Youth, Faith and Vocational Discernment”, the Church decided to consider how to accompany young people in recognizing and accepting the call to ” Love and life in fullness.
- To ask young people to help define the most effective strategies today to announce the Good News. Through the young, the Church will be able to hear the voice of the Lord that still resonates today. As formerly Samuel (cf. 1 S 3,1-21) and Jeremiah (cf. Jr 1, 4-10), Some young people know how to discover the signs of our time that the Spirit indicates.
- By listening to their aspirations, we can glimpse into the world of tomorrow that comes to meet us and the ways that the Church is called to follow.
What does "lineamenta" and "Instrumentum Laboris" mean?
The “Instrumentum laboris”, or “working document” in Latin, is a text prepared by the secretariat of the synod, following all the answers received to the questionnaire of the Preparatory Document, as well as observations and study contributions. It serves as a basis for the synodal assembly, it is the instrument of work given to all the bishops who will participate in the synod.
Will it be really helpful? Will young people really be listened to?
It is a unique opportunity to express yourself freely, guided by questions that concern you directly. These are your answers that will serve as a red thread to the bishops for the synodal assembly.
Finally, after the synod, the conclusions gathered in the apostolic exhortation will be diffused in the parishes of the whole world. A work of accompaniment and concrete appropriation of the text then takes place.
For this synod which concerns young people, Pope Francis particularly solicits the words of the young people, he even wrote to them in a special letter to encourage them to participate.
Who will attend the synod in 2018?
Then the bishops will gather in Rome around the Pope since this synod of the universal Church is a synod of bishops.
Will there be a place to share good ideas at the global or national level on the internet?
On the national level, yes, Mission Jeunesse will set up on this site the experiences / best practices that will be shared…
And already, you can benefit from the sharing of good practices that has been achieved at European level on the occasion of the recent Symposium on the accompaniment of young people.
Pourquoi 2 questionnaires?
- The general public
- young people only
For whom each questionnaire is addressed?
- The Preparatory Document launches the consultation phase of the people of God.
- The questionnaire of the Preparatory Document is therefore addressed to all and invites particularly every diocese, movement, institute of consecrated life or association of faithful to elaborate an answer. Everyone will find the appropriate modes and groups for reading the Preparatory Document and preparation of responses. Nous vous invitons à faire participer des jeunes concernés (e)s (13 – 35 ans).
- In parallel with these consultation processes managed by the dioceses, movements, communities that are invited to listen to and involve young people. Young people will also be able to express themselves directly by answering the questionnaire that will be broadcast on-line Of May 2017.
This questionnaire will be available in several languages on the website www.missionjeunessemtl.org
Until when can we complete the questionnaires?
How to answer the questionnaire (instructions, format, deadline ...) ?
1- Gathering Statistics
2- Evaluating the Situation
3- Sharing Activities
You can reply directly online.
- The preparatory document and the general questionnaire are available by clicking on : SYNODE 2018 org
- We can answer all or only a few questions.
- You can read it, think about it and react to it alone or in groups
For part 3 on the “1 to 3 initiatives that have borne fruit within the framework of the pastoral vocations”, it is to relate on 1 page. You can download the PDF document directly online.
How to learn more about the 2018 Synod ?
On Facebook, MissionJeunesseMTL page
On Twitter, @missionjeunesse. Make sure to use #Synode2018 … et non #Synode18 !
By email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Who will write the synthesis for the Archdiocese of Montreal ?
This team will not be able to do this without all the contributions that will come from local communities, communities and movements. We count on you to see with your bishops or leaders how to encourage broad participation in this consultation process.